Followers

Pages

Thursday, April 25, 2013

"V" is for Valley of the Gods

My husband, Jim, and I traveled this great country of ours for SEVEN years in our RV. We saw many wonderful sights, visited famous and not so famous cities, and wandered through many a National Park. I have blogged through all our travels. I've stumbled upon the "Blogging from A to Z Challenge 2013". I decided to jump on board this crazy train and share with all of you places I have seen in my travels.

Day 22 "Blogging from A-Z Challenge"!





is for Valley of the Gods, Utah







We stumbled upon the "Valley of the Gods" on our way to Natural Bridges National Monument. On the side of the road we saw this innocuous sign 

photo credit
and decided to follow the road. What we found is that Valley of the Gods is a smaller version of Monument Valley.  It's a 17-mile dirt road that winds through various rock formations. It was like we landed on another planet - the only other person we passed was a guy by the side of the road who's motorcycle was stuck in the sand. Jim got out and helped him push it to the road. Other than that - it was desolate. The wind howled over the sand and through the rocks. Here's a short clip.





This is the road leading into the area.

That black vertical line on the right side is the antenna from our truck.
Sitting Hen Butte
I named this Monkey Face Rock
I'm thinking this is Seven Sailors

I call this "peek-a-boo" because the sun is peeking through the hole in the rock.
Sun "kissing" the mountain
Another mysterious and beautiful area in this wonderful world we live in!

8 comments:

Valerie said...

The rock formations are uncanny. I like the pictures but it's not somewhere I'd want to visit. I couldn't stand all that wind :O)

Gail said...

Oh, my, heaven!

Christine said...

Oh my goodness, I'm jealous! My husband and I have explored most states east of the Mississippi, but west is just so far. Road trips out there are going to have to wait until retirement. Fortunately, those rocks should still be there. :)

JoJo said...

Fascinating! And to think water is what carved all those amazing formations billions of years ago! You took your RV down that road or were you towing a car?

Adam said...

so majestic

Unknown said...

Wow! those photos are amazing. What a beautiful view!

Anonymous said...

Love the names that go along with the fabulous photos.

Lynn said...

You bless us with your willingness to get off the beaten path and see things where few people go.