Followers

Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Our Little Getaway

Hard to believe that with all the traveling we did while living in our RV, once we got off of the road we didn't go ANYWHERE this past year. Well, except for the the annual camping trip with the family.

Our 29th Wedding Anniversary was coming up, so I took advantage of a deal I saw and booked a two night stay at a bed and breakfast in Saugatuck, Michigan. It turned out that all the available bedrooms were on the second floor, and I have an issue with stairs. Then I found out that they offered three different cottages right across from the big house. So I was able to book a separate cottage for a slightly larger fee.

Saugatuck, Michigan is a little town on the coast of Lake Michigan and is a little over three hours from the suburbs of Chicago. It wasn't a bad drive at all.

We pulled into the rest stop/visitor's center in Michigan and saw this:


which I got a kick out of, because even though there wasn't any water to be seen, Michigan is known for its many lighthouses.

We arrived at the Twin Gables bed and breakfast, and I was impressed with its beauty.


We entered into the foyer and rang the bell. I heard someone tinkling the piano keys and could tell that it was a child at play. After a long wait the door was opened by a very young girl. She said, "You can come in," and took my hand, leading me into the room. "This is the Common Room", she continued, sweeping her arm away from her body, encompassing the room. I was very impressed with this little tyke, who was obviously used to people coming into her home. At that moment her grandmother entered, apologizing for not answering the door. I told her that it was okay, since this little girl had welcomed us.

Here is a glimpse of the "common room" where guests can mingle:



The breakfast room:


Although we stayed in the cottage, breakfast was included. This particular bed and breakfast is famous for their three course breakfasts. One morning we ate homemade blueberry scones with a dollop of cream and jam on the side, and fresh fruit with some yogurt.


Then we were served Eggs Napoleon, a scrambled egg dish on a muffin.


I forgot to take a picture of the outside of our cottage, but here are a few photos of the inside. It had two bedrooms, large living room, dining room, kitchen, and bathroom.




TO BE CONTINUED.......

11 comments:

Brian Miller said...

what a cool looking place...and funny on the lighthouses? for the great lakes maybe?

JoJo said...

wow that's sweet!

Unknown said...

Lovely! I've never stayed at a bed and breakfast. A friend of mine did and said it was like "visiting relatives you don't like." (which made me a little leary!) Glad you had a nice anniversary celebration! The food looks amazing!

Country Gal said...

I love bed and breakfast houses . They are always so cute and quaint and the food is always so YUMMY ! Glad you had a nice time ! Thanks for sharing. Have a good day !

Adam said...

looks like a nice stay

Lynda said...

Congratulations on the longevity of your marriage! Good for you going to such a nice place to celebrate!!! It is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What a pretty spot!
And a happy way to celebrate your anniversary!

AiringMyLaundry said...

What an awesome place. Love it!

Valerie said...

Wow, I love that place. It looks so inviting and cosy.

Strange about the lighthouses and no water.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Perfect place for an Anniversary celebration (congratulations!). That breakfast is making me so hungry even tho I just finished lunch.

Gail said...

It is nice to get away...