Followers

Pages

Monday, July 15, 2013

My Name is Pat. I am an Addict.

I am addicted to books.

I first admitted my problem back in 2011.

I am not happy unless I am surrounded by books. Hardcover, paperback, e-books, you name it - I've got books in that form.

This is my current stack checked out from the library.


Six books came in for me at once at the library. I was in hog heaven. Or book heaven. My eyes glazed over and my heart palpitated a little when I checked out all my goodies. But then reality set in. I'd have to read two books a week for three weeks to knock all these babies out. So far I have been keeping up, BUT, just LOOK at the size of that Stephen King novel. GRANTED, it IS in large type, (only because I could get a copy faster), but that puppy is going to take more than a couple of days. Unless I never leave my armchair, don't shower, and just get up to use the bathroom.

But, it's not just library books. Here is a recently installed bookshelf. Approximately 85% of the books are mine.


Keep in mind that each shelf has a double row of books. Uh, yeah, that's a lot of books. I keep telling myself that I need to read one of  these books for every library book I read. Once I read a book from this shelf, I can get rid of it, unless it's one I want to keep. Don't ask me why. I don't know why.

THEN someone introduced me to bookbub.com. You get daily e-mails of deals on e-books. Almost every day they have a free book. So I just press that little button that reads, "download to my library", and wah-lah, I have an e-book waiting for me on my iPad, IF, by chance, I find myself with nothing to read. I have about 25 books sitting there for me.

I TOLD you I was an addict!

I subscribe to three different libraries that send me their Fiction and Non-Fiction best sellers list - WEEKLY. Okay, I will admit to that being a little much. I can probably unsubscribe to two of them!

I also subscribe to goodreads.com, amazon.com, and shelf-awareness.com, for book reviews, notices on upcoming releases, information on authors, etc.

Obsessed much? Yeah.

From all of the above notifications, I begin my lists of books that I want to read. Here are just some of them:


That is approximately 116 books per legal sized piece of paper (both sides). I have three pages there. That's 339 books listed. This is only one set of my lists! I have a large typed list, too, and other written ones. I will never enter the library saying, "Hmm.....I have no idea what to read!"

Maybe I can tell my story through these photos.

I need



I have so many books that they are falling off of the shelves.

I am so obsessed with books that I would think nothing of having a book light, a book bench,



a book mobile,


or even having the side of our building painted with books.


because I have tunnel vision,



and I am not happy unless I am surrounded by books.



What are you reading?

26 comments:

Unknown said...

I just finished, "Born Standing Up" by Steve Martin; it's the story of his career as a stand up comedian. I enjoyed it very much. He's one "wild and crazy guy!"

Christine said...

I'm with you on the book craze. Love, love, love them. I'm not the kind of person to read a book more than once, so I don't have gobs and gobs of bookshelves. I give them away after reading. (and now with a kindle, I don't need shelves).
My new favorite author is Catherine Ryan Hyde. I bought one of her books for 99 cents and loved it, so immediately bought another of hers. Loved it, too. When I Found You was the first one.
It's a good idea to write down the books you want to read. I've never kept a full list like that, but really, really need to.

Gail said...

Put Duma Key by King on that list. Read some Harland Cobin and Greg Illes too.

Lynda said...

I just finished Dee Henderson's "O'Malley Series" and have started on the "Uncommon Hero Series". One of my favorite books this year has been "Unbroken" by Hillenbrand - - an amazing biography. She wrote "Sea Biscuit".
Like you, I admit to my addiction and promise never to give it up. I love it toooooooo much!!!

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE MY PEOPLE:)

Lynn said...

Hello, my name is Lynn, and I'm an addict...

welcome to my world Pat!

"Books are my balloons; they take me out of this world and into another."
(I had this on a bookmark once.)

6 books in 3 weeks, easy. Plus there's renewals, right?

Country Gal said...

I go through fazes with books and the book has to grip me right from the start or I get bored of it fast lol . My mum was a book worm as we call avid readers here . Nice collection you have there of books ! Thanks for sharing ! Have a good day and oh get lost ..... in a book hehe !

Al Penwasser said...

Great to know that someone shares my addiction. Mrs. Penwasser? Not so much. While she reads every night, once she's done, she puts the books in the "Garage Sale" pile.
Whenever we speak sweet nothings to each other, she swears, "When you go, you're taking your GD books with you!"
I still have my 1st grade primer.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Well, me too Pat~ And definitely nice for you not to have to worry about how much the books weigh, since you're not traveling in an RV anymore. I am addicted to my Kindle, but I still get library books. Bill reads only what he calls 'real' books, so I pick them up for him whenever I go. We don't read the same stuff very often.
Do you have more than one book at a time going? I usually have at least two going on, depending on my mood what I read...

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Here's one to add to your list (as if you needed suggestions). Life After Life by Jill McCorkle. It's a novel, not a self-helpbook ;p>)... I loved loved it.

Rae said...

Me too. I am an addict. I always have several books I am currently reading and looking for more. It is a good addiction - no fat, alcohol, calories, or smoke. I can live with this addiction.

Brian Miller said...

ha those are awesome pictures...i need help too...maybe we can start a recovery club...i will be in it...i have shelves and boxes...and cant stop....i do cull every once in a while to the used book store...i still need help...ha...

Maude Lynn said...

I'm the same way! I'm currently reading Rosemary Cottage (for review) and Game of Thrones (for grins and giggles).

Adam said...

that's a lot of books

SquirrelQueen said...

That's a lot of books, books and more books. I'm reading Snow Day for review right now and have about a dozen in my TBR pile which is on my Kindle and a stack on my desk. I have more coming for review so I don't know when the TBR stack will get read.

Liz A. said...

That's why I love having an ereader--I don't have room for lots of books.

Fragrant Liar said...

Hi, Pat.

:-) I'm a book addict too, though these days I'm much more likely to buy a digital book, more as a matter of convenience than anything. Reading on my iPad is hard on my arm though, since it's heavier than a thick tome hardback!

Great pics! My favorite was the one where the books look like the shelves have broken under their weight and they're sliding off.

JoJo said...

If you ever see Green Apple books in San Francisco, Powell's in Portland, OR or Parnassus, here on Cape Cod, you will die. I love to read but I don't have any that hold my interest. I've got 5 books started over the last 1.5 yrs and haven't finished any of them.

Valerie said...

I'm with you, Pat, although I might baulk at that Stephen King, much as I love him. It's just that the fingers complain if a book is too thick and heavy.

Great pictures. I wouldn't mind a few of those chairs!

Liz said...

Another avid reader here. I don't keep my books though. Well, that's a lie. I love Stephen King so I have all his books and do re-read them occasionally. And, I study and read as much as I can about the Civil War. I keep all those books too. I've got a large collection there but no place to keep them. They are in a stack on the floor of my bedroom.

I also have a Nook with about 75 books to read on there and a stack of other books waiting for me. I just work too many hours and can't keep up. I try to read as often as I can though!

AiringMyLaundry said...

I just finished Time Flies! It was very good :)

I'm at the library a lot too.

Jim said...

Great collection.

VioletSky said...

I have a couple of those 'how to decorate with books' books. I love coffee table books. But am slowly - and with great rending pain at the time - passing most of my collection on. Currently, I am reading Susannah Gregory.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I feel your pain. I have lots of books and I continue to buy books and check books out from the library far in excess of capacity to read the books.

I have learned not to keep books though. I have very few books beyond those I haven't read yet. I just put them in the same goodwill bag that I put old clothes in.

labbie1 said...

Those tunnels look a little scary! Like a deep well--you must read your way out!!!!

I just finished the Hunger Games Trilogy. I had it on my Kindle for a couple of years. Not sure why I never started to read it, but once I did, I just couldn't put it down!

I see that you have Under the Dome. Are you watching the TV series?

DesertHen said...

Me too! I just got two new ones to read! Been a little busy with work though, so they are sitting on my end table staring at me...lol. Hubby can't understand why I buy books like I do when I could easily check them out from the library. I told him it is a lot like his fly fishing addiction...you gotta have it when you want it, no waiting involved!

Happy reading! =)